Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Potential OF's Available to Fill RF til Polanco returns (Read 2040 times)
Bucs Fan in GA

OnlyBucs.net Member

Potential OF's Available to Fill RF til Polanco returns
Sep 28th, 2018 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Was thinking who are the available OF's this off-season. Here is the list pulled off MLB Page. Of the following OF's, who do other Pirate Fans think the Buccos will look at???

Age and WAR indicated per player

Left fielders
Michael Brantley (32 years old, 2.6 WAR)
Marwin Gonzalez (30, 1.3)
Curtis Granderson (38, 0.6)
Craig Gentry (35, 0.5)
Cameron Maybin (32, 0.4)
Matt Joyce (34, 0.1)
Gregor Blanco (35, -0.4)
Hunter Pence (36, -0.8)

Center fielders
Leonys Martin (31 years old, 2.5 WAR)
A.J. Pollock (31, 1.9)
Adam Jones (33, 0.6)
Rajai Davis (38, 0.3)
Austin Jackson (32, -0.3)

Right fielders
Bryce Harper (26 years old, 3.1 WAR)
Nick Markakis (35, 2.6)
Jason Heyward (29, 2.2) -- Can opt out of the five years and $106 million remaining on his contract.
Carlos Gonzalez (33, 1.9)
Andrew McCutchen (32, 1.8)
Jon Jay (33, 1.1)
Lonnie Chisenhall (30, 0.8)
Melky Cabrera (34, 0.4)
Jose Bautista (38, 0.4)
Carlos Gomez (33, -0.3)
Chris Young (35, -0.5)

YIM  
IP Logged

SammyKhalifa
Global Moderator

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: Potential OF's Available to Fill RF til Polanco returns
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
credit to Rajai Davis for having such a long career.  I assumed he'd be only a little more than a cup-of-coffee type guy.

IP Logged

Bucs Fan in GA

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Yep, and to think Dave Littlefield got Matt Morris! Cheesy

YIM  
IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
SammyKhalifa wrote on Sep 28th, 2018 at 12:32pm:
credit to Rajai Davis for having such a long career.  I assumed he'd be only a little more than a cup-of-coffee type guy.

I saw him hit a triple against the Nats just about a couple weeks before he was dealt for Morris.

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
The guy I would go for is Granderson.  Lefty hitter who can play some defense.  Since we hope Polanco can comeback in late May early June we do not need a guy to play the entire year there. So Granderson could become a 4th OF and maybe even at the 7/31 deadline be flipped for a prospect of some sort if Luplow develops to the 4th OF we need then. 

But it will be hard to find one of them on the list that is worth a bag of balls who will sign a deal with the Bucs to be a 4th OF.

It's A Great Day for Bucco Baseball

Possum

---------------

Believe it or Not!  In 1959 the Pirates almost traded Dick Groat for Roger Maris.

IP Logged

Quail
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
My guess is they'll kick the tires on Matt Joyce who's having a down year. No guarantees, but maybe an invite to Spring Training and the hope that he can show he's still got something left in the tank.

"In baseball, you don't know nothing."-  Yogi Berra

IP Logged

ScottinMass

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Quail wrote on Sep 28th, 2018 at 3:53pm:
My guess is they'll kick the tires on Matt Joyce who's having a down year. No guarantees, but maybe an invite to Spring Training and the hope that he can show he's still got something left in the tank.

I would not waste money on Joyce. He's 34 now and having a terrible year. This could be it for him, why bother?
I mentioned it in a another thread a few weeks ago, but A.J. Pollock and Cargo are the 2 I would target.

IP Logged

IABucFan
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I like the idea of Cargo.

And honestly, name aside, I'd say McCutchen. Aside from being right handed, I think he actually fits the bill for what they need.

IP Logged

RichD

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I dont want any of those guys. I take a chance on our young guys or another teams young guy. We need to find a bust out type of player not a busted up.

IP Logged

IABucFan
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
RichD wrote on Sep 28th, 2018 at 4:14pm:
I dont want any of those guys. I take a chance on our young guys or another teams young guy. We need to find a bust out type of player not a busted up.

I agree with this, actually. I know I said Cargo and McCutchen, but admittedly, if they are going to come in and produce 0.5 WAR or something like that, we can get that internally. What we really need to do is make a move like what the Brewers did in brining in Christian Yelich. IDK if there's a guy like that available this year or not, but if there is, NH should be all over that.

IP Logged

MaineBucs

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #10 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
The hard part about going for a 'Yelich' level player is that the Bucs have little to offer in talent at the major league level, particularly since they are losing depth on the roster at an alarming rate, and they really need most of the better quality talent in the minors.

I would be really hesitant to trade Keller, Hayes, Cole, Kramer, Newman, et al, even though most are not all-stars, and also realizing that most would not bring a Yelich level talent.  As I posted last week, if the Bucs want to make a trade, their best tradable talent (other than a young starting pitcher) is Vasquez.  And with Santana out for next year, and Kela looking like a mystery man, not sure they could afford to deal Vasquez.

I know it likely is a real stretch, and that his current AB's is a very small sample size, but perhaps they could nurse some combo of Reyes, Osuna and Luplow in RF until Polanco returns.  Reyes, at a minimum, adds defense and speed, and if he can hit and hit near the top of the order, Marte or Frazier can slide down. 

While I am not sold on either Osuna or Luplow, both have produced at AAA in the past. 

Like others, I am not enamored by most of the players of the FA list; particularly don't want a Joyce or Bautista type bargain.

Hope that the Bucs can take at least one of three against the Reds this weekend so they can finish with a winning record.   Finishing above .500, however, will be a challenge with so many of the starters no longer available.   Kingham tonight.  Geez, maybe Holmes on Sunday. And we're playing in Cincinnati!   ERA's could take a real beating.

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #11 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
MaineBucs wrote on Sep 28th, 2018 at 5:44pm:
The hard part about going for a 'Yelich' level player is that the Bucs have little to offer in talent at the major league level, particularly since they are losing depth on the roster at an alarming rate, and they really need most of the better quality talent in the minors.

I would be really hesitant to trade Keller, Hayes, Cole, Kramer, Newman, et al, even though most are not all-stars, and also realizing that most would not bring a Yelich level talent.  As I posted last week, if the Bucs want to make a trade, their best tradable talent (other than a young starting pitcher) is Vasquez.  And with Santana out for next year, and Kela looking like a mystery man, not sure they could afford to deal Vasquez.

I know it likely is a real stretch, and that his current AB's is a very small sample size, but perhaps they could nurse some combo of Reyes, Osuna and Luplow in RF until Polanco returns.  Reyes, at a minimum, adds defense and speed, and if he can hit and hit near the top of the order, Marte or Frazier can slide down. 

While I am not sold on either Osuna or Luplow, both have produced at AAA in the past. 

Like others, I am not enamored by most of the players of the FA list; particularly don't want a Joyce or Bautista type bargain.

Hope that the Bucs can take at least one of three against the Reds this weekend so they can finish with a winning record.   Finishing above .500, however, will be a challenge with so many of the starters no longer available.   Kingham tonight.  Geez, maybe Holmes on Sunday. And we're playing in Cincinnati!   ERA's could take a real beating.          

Mainer points out why it is tricky to plan for next year.  Neither Osuna or Luplow had much production in Pittsburgh.  What can the Bucs reasonably expect to get from them?  Do the Pirate internal evaluations show they can improve or have they maxed out?  The answer to that should help decide who to bring in for next year.

IP Logged

RichD

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #12 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
I would still like the Bucs to go after 1B AJ Reed from Houston .He has fallen out of favor. He will hit 250 with 25 + HR we need that. Move Bell to the OF. Simple.

Bell rf
Marte cf
Dickerson lf
Luplow /Reyes of/if

Why cant Bell go back to OF that is what he has been until a few years ago  ?

Can you imagine

Reed 25+ hr
Bell 20 hr
Kang 20 hr
Marte 15 hr
Cervelli/Diaz 20 hr
Dickerson /Luplow/Reyes 25 + hr
Frazier/Kramer/Moran 30 hr

That's not unreasonable.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2018 at 7:30pm by RichD »  

IP Logged

SCBucco
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #13 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Pass on Cutch.  Why bring him back?  He isn't a difference maker anymore.  Time for fans to move on from this file.

Give me Marwin Gonzales.  Is versatile enough when Polanco comes back, he can move around in the infield.  Can play 1st, 2B and SS ... in a pinch 3B too.  Too logical.

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #14 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
I too like Gonzalez. He is versatile and has a decent bat. I also believe he is a switch hitter. I do believe the Pirates will make a run at him.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint