Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 8/10 vs SF (Read 746 times)
JollyRoger

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: 8/10 vs SF
Reply #45 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Another note to throw out there. Even with sacrificing the game with Holmes and Sadler; and the fact that Sadler was not PH for 2 times when there were runners in scoring position; the Bucs still burned up the bullpen with Rodriguez and Crick. Neither will be available today. It was without a doubt the worst managed game of the season!!

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #46 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:51am
Print Post  
UtahPirate wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 10:57am:
With all the angst out there, I'm not trying to justify the move, just pointing out some things. In the postgame interview Hurdle says "we" a lot and in the Pirates.com article it says the move had been in the works for weeks and Holmes knew after his last start he was pitching last night even though it was announced until the day before yesterday.

Rumbunter had an interesting article about how pitching lines up for the rest of the year and what this move does. The only part I scratch my head about is they have also been saying Holmes will make a start in September. I hope he pitched himself out of that possibility last night:

https://rumbunter.com/2018/08/10/the-pittsburgh-pirates-and-their-chance-to-be-a
ggressive-with-the-rotation/

I bet the chance of the Bucs going with column 3 schedule is close to zero.  Also this isn't the only way to be aggressive with rotation. 

IP Logged

Carolina Bucco
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #47 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Here's what concerns me the most. Before last night, the Pirates were playing well (especially the starting pitching), winning and building momentum.

The Giants were losing and struggling.

Now one game may have changed the dynamics completely.

The Pirates no longer have a winning streak, and the Giants probably have some new-found confidence and feel much better going into tonight's game.

When you have a team down, KEEP THEM DOWN and don't give them a chance at new life.

IP Logged

dmetz
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #48 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
VaPirate wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 9:42am:
dmetz wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 9:32am:
NH and Hurdle won't be grilled on it.   The bloggers will apologize for it and the sportswriters will make a snark or two and move on.   

If we don't win out in SF, last night's decision is going to get ever dumber.  Results are all that matter.   

I would LOVE to see anyone defend this debacle.  Maybe the attempt would turn my anger to laughter.

Watch closely.   It's happening before your eyes

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #49 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
dmetz wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 12:15pm:
VaPirate wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 9:42am:
dmetz wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 9:32am:
NH and Hurdle won't be grilled on it.   The bloggers will apologize for it and the sportswriters will make a snark or two and move on.   

If we don't win out in SF, last night's decision is going to get ever dumber.  Results are all that matter.   

I would LOVE to see anyone defend this debacle.  Maybe the attempt would turn my anger to laughter.

Watch closely.   It's happening before your eyes

Yeah and I’m not buying.  I’m unimpressed that the braintrust of this organization decided on this schedule a month or a year ago.  This isn’t a static industry where we need to replace parts on a fixed schedule. This is dynamic industry that requires adjustments constantly. The fact they could not deviate from their stupid advance planning frankly makes them look all the more ill-equipped to manage a baseball team.

The stupidity of their advanced planing: at the time planned, they were not able to factor in a playoff race, that Williams would have so little work over the past month, that the bullpen was not set up effectively for last night. Add in team momentum and we’re playing a team that also wants to be in the playoffs.... none of that mattered because they decided a month or a year ago to arbitrarily insert a AAA pitcher in what turned out to be a critical game.  I did not realize plans in baseball were written in stone. 

I think I’ll call my stock broker and tell him to sell in 30 days. No matter what, sell.  In 30 days exactly.  That’s the Braintrust methodology of running a baseball team apparently.

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #50 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Ecbucs wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:51am:
UtahPirate wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 10:57am:
With all the angst out there, I'm not trying to justify the move, just pointing out some things. In the postgame interview Hurdle says "we" a lot and in the Pirates.com article it says the move had been in the works for weeks and Holmes knew after his last start he was pitching last night even though it was announced until the day before yesterday.

Rumbunter had an interesting article about how pitching lines up for the rest of the year and what this move does. The only part I scratch my head about is they have also been saying Holmes will make a start in September. I hope he pitched himself out of that possibility last night:

https://rumbunter.com/2018/08/10/the-pittsburgh-pirates-and-their-chance-to-be-a
ggressive-with-the-rotation/

I bet the chance of the Bucs going with column 3 schedule is close to zero.  Also this isn't the only way to be aggressive with rotation. 

I don’t know who the writer of this article is, but if I read it right: the Pirates toss in the towel for last night’s game with the remote possibility of gaining two starts by our “top three starters”.  Unreal the lengths some will go through to justify this the management.   

Here’s an idea: IF this scheduling is such a good idea, why do it against the Giants. Find the lowest risk game on the immediate schedule.  I would still think it’s stupid, but why not against the Twins?

IP Logged

dmetz
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #51 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
It's one start, really.   In order the get two they would need to skip Williams which doesn't make any sense at all, at the moment, because he's pitching hot.    I agree he's the #4, but just like hitting, being on a good run matters for pitchers.

I think when you're this far back, it's senseless to get cute with the rotation.   You've got to strike immediately and put yourself in a better position by the end of August or you can forget about it.  Put the best players on the field, put the best pitchers you can on the mound and put the best bullpen arms available in the highest leverage spots.   

It's now or never.    Most likely no matter what we do it's not going to be enough, but for ****s sake, let's put the best foot forward until there's no longer any reasonable chance.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #52 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
dmetz wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
It's one start, really.   In order the get two they would need to skip Williams which doesn't make any sense at all, at the moment, because he's pitching hot.    I agree he's the #4, but just like hitting, being on a good run matters for pitchers.

I think when you're this far back, it's senseless to get cute with the rotation.   You've got to strike immediately and put yourself in a better position by the end of August or you can forget about it.  Put the best players on the field, put the best pitchers you can on the mound and put the best bullpen arms available in the highest leverage spots.   

It's now or never.    Most likely no matter what we do it's not going to be enough, but for ****s sake, let's put the best foot forward until there's no longer any reasonable chance.

It's really difficult to try to explain to people that the Pirates don't operate that way.  Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint