Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Let the rumor mill begin (Read 11909 times)
Leyland 1948

OnlyBucs.net Member

Let the rumor mill begin
Jul 10th, 2018 at 7:37am
Print Post  
Per MLB Trade Rumors the Dodgers are looking at infielders and Josh Harrison is a casual mention. First of a lot of rumors to come in the next few weeks I guess.

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: Let the rumor mill begin
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
The rumors will start to escalate over the next couple of weeks. There has been no rumor to my suggestion, but should the Bucs consider trading Vazquez? I am sure many of the teams in the hunt for the postseason would  want him. He has a recent contract which is team friendly. He could probably fetch other teams high end prospects. Finally since the Bucs appear to be in some type of rebuild mode, do they need a closer or can they end games with closers by committee? Finally on their roster they have Nick Burdi who is recovering from TJ Surgery, and I believe as a Rule 5 pick he must be on the active roster for a portion of this season.

IP Logged

CTBucco

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 12:39am
Print Post  
I’d rank the guys they should consider trading by their trade value as Vazquez, Marte, Cervelli, Harrison, Dickerson, Nova.

I’d only move one of the OFers but could see selling both if there is a good market for them. There hasn’t been the last few deadlines. The problem with trading Cervelli is the lack of catching prospects, so they’d need to sign a decent backup for Diaz in the offseason -unless you believe Stallings will hit.

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
CTBucco wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 12:39am:
I’d rank the guys they should consider trading by their trade value as Vazquez, Marte, Cervelli, Harrison, Dickerson, Nova.

I’d only move one of the OFers but could see selling both if there is a good market for them. There hasn’t been the last few deadlines. The problem with trading Cervelli is the lack of catching prospects, so they’d need to sign a decent backup for Diaz in the offseason -unless you believe Stallings will hit.

I'm not that worried about Stallings in that he can hit better than Chris Stewart.  Still getting more catching depth in upper minors is needed unless they think Laverny is a capable major league catcher.  It has been nice to see Diaz has been healthy all season.

IP Logged

Orlando Merced
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 11:17am
Print Post  
I'm uncomfortable with Diaz as the primary catcher, I think he's great in the backup role though. They have likely been the most productive catching tandem in terms of WAR, no reason to break that up.

I'd be curious what teams in contention would offer from Vazquez, but if no one is willing to offer an Andrew Miller package, NH should pass.

Not sure what Dickerson is worth, but I imagine it would be little more than a Bryan Reynolds level prospect.

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Orlando Merced wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 11:17am:
I'm uncomfortable with Diaz as the primary catcher, I think he's great in the backup role though. They have likely been the most productive catching tandem in terms of WAR, no reason to break that up.

I'd be curious what teams in contention would offer from Vazquez, but if no one is willing to offer an Andrew Miller package, NH should pass.

Not sure what Dickerson is worth, but I imagine it would be little more than a Bryan Reynolds level prospect.

If they would trade Vazquez they better get back a very excellent package of players.

IP Logged

SammyKhalifa
Global Moderator

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Ecbucs wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 10:54am:
CTBucco wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 12:39am:

I'm not that worried about Stallings in that he can hit better than Chris Stewart.  Still getting more catching depth in upper minors is needed unless they think Laverny is a capable major league catcher.  It has been nice to see Diaz has been healthy all season.

Stallings strikes be as being born to be a MLB manager--the "AAAA Catcher" type alongside with his family history growing up in a coaching family.  I was really impressed with his thoughts on the game after listening to a recent radio interview. 

IP Logged

RichD

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Red Sox looking for BP help prefer player with some years of control .  Brad Hand, Vasquez and others are mentioned per MLBtraderumors

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
RichD wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 12:25pm:
Red Sox looking for BP help prefer player with some years of control .  Brad Hand, Vasquez and others are mentioned per MLBtraderumors

I hope we don’t do a deal with Red Sox. Their number 1 prospect is serving an 80 game suspension and the#2 player is out with TJ surgery. If we trade Vazquez we need top prospects from the other team.

IP Logged

dmetz
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
We should be able to get a big haul for Marte and Vasquez.  Alternatively, we could trade Meadows in lieu of Marte. 

If Meadows, then could hold Marte, Polanco, and Dickerson, with Luplow and Jason Martin high in the pipe.

Cervelli is pretty certain to be gone, what his value is, dunno. 

Agree Diaz has defensive deficiencies that will fit in perfect with the rest of our infield.  Bat has come out of nowhere really.  Hard to know future expectations with Diaz.    

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:50pm by dmetz »  

IP Logged

BenM

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
I think I have a lower valuation of the trade value the Pirates possess than most here.

Cervelli is one foul ball to the helmet away from having to retire and is owed 10 million next year.

Marte has failed a PED test, faces a year suspension if it happens again, and is owed over thirty million after this season.

Polanco's contract goes to 2023 for over 50 million dollars.

On top of all that, all teams are really reluctant to trade their young players. (Remember rumors about Clint Frazier being part of a Cole trade? He's still with the Yankees even though he is blocked.)

Perhaps Vasquez is is the key. Maybe Dickerson, but I have no idea what return either would bring. But on the whole, I think the franchise lacks the kind of talent to trade for talent that could help them contend.

IP Logged

dmetz
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
But what about Meadows?   Yes I certainly disagree on Marte.  If a GM has any level of competency at all, Marte would bring a nice haul of talent.   If Polanco continues to hit, his contract will actually make him more appealing, not less.   Perhaps and off-season trade candidate?

Teams aren't that reluctant to part with young talent.   Yelich brought a top prospect haul of 4 players and  is comparable to Marte as far as player quality.   Marte should bring at least two B+ or better prospects.

The rest I agree with.  We don't have to keep Meadows 
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2018 at 8:46pm by dmetz »  

IP Logged

INbuc
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #12 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
I would play as hard-to-get with Vazquez as I could.  If nobody wants to pay a premium for him, keep him.  Make the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, Etc bleed until they pass out.   Marte, Meadows et al are much more a commodity than a power throwing lefty with so many years of control.  Shoot for the moon.

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
INbuc wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 8:53pm:
I would play as hard-to-get with Vazquez as I could.  If nobody wants to pay a premium for him, keep him.  Make the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, Etc bleed until they pass out.   Marte, Meadows et al are much more a commodity than a power throwing lefty with so many years of control.  Shoot for the moon.

the thing about Vaquez is if you don't get a great offer you can always try again in the off season or next season barring injury or a slump in performance.

IP Logged

JollyRoger

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #14 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
The Yankees are going hard after Machado.
They are said to be also looking for bullpen help.
If the Yanks get Machado (Orioles want Sheffield), that would make Andujar available. Would you do an Andujar for Vasquez?
If so, what would you do with Moran?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Send TopicPrint