Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Austin Meadows to get called up tomorrow? (Read 605 times)
ChitownBucco

OnlyBucs.net Member

Austin Meadows to get called up tomorrow?
May 17th, 2018 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Marte to 10 day DL

IP Logged

Steady Freddy
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: Austin Meadows to get called up tomorrow?
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2018 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Hopefully the crowds will pickup the next few days and hearing that Meadows is coming up will help those crowds. Very excited to see what he can do up here.

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2018 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Mixed feelings on this move.  Mainly is Meadows really ready to join MLB?  If only for 10 days or so its okay but if Marte is out much longer I would've rather given Christopher Bostick a shot as he seems to lighting up AAA and seems to give a bit more versatility in both OF and INF.  Sort of an SRod kinda guy.  Seems he needs a much of a cup of coffee as Meadows.  Can't see the Bucs moving forward in 2019 with SRod on the roster.

It's A Great Day for Bucco Baseball

Possum

-------------

Summing up the Pirates chances of being competitive in 2018:  "It's like a horse race with Mr. Ed going against Secretariat"

IP Logged

Dogknot3
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2018 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
How is Bostick more exciting than Meadows?

I am surprised by the move. The Pirates are all about money and are starting Meadow's clock? This shows they are trying to win. It's exciting for every team when their top prospect gets the call.

IP Logged

mouse
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2018 at 1:52am
Print Post  
This is just a short, get-your-feet-wet type opportunity for Meadows. Be good for him and they can easily justify sending him back down when Marte is done (presumably in eight days). I take this as a sign Marte's injury is not thought of as serious. If they thought he would be out for an extended time they would have called up Bostick. No way they give Meadows an extra year of arbitration just to get him up three weeks early.

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2018 at 5:43am
Print Post  
Dogknot3 wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 11:21pm:
How is Bostick more exciting than Meadows?

I am surprised by the move. The Pirates are all about money and are starting Meadow's clock? This shows they are trying to win. It's exciting for every team when their top prospect gets the call.

Who said that Dog? 

Possum

-------------

Summing up the Pirates chances of being competitive in 2018:  "It's like a horse race with Mr. Ed going against Secretariat"

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2018 at 5:44am
Print Post  
mouse wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 1:52am:
This is just a short, get-your-feet-wet type opportunity for Meadows. Be good for him and they can easily justify sending him back down when Marte is done (presumably in eight days). I take this as a sign Marte's injury is not thought of as serious. If they thought he would be out for an extended time they would have called up Bostick. No way they give Meadows an extra year of arbitration just to get him up three weeks early.

You are right.  Need to put on my thinking cap a bit earlier in the day!  I wonder if he starts in CF tonite?  That would be interesting.

Possum

-------------

IP Logged

notes34

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2018 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Possum wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 5:44am:

You are right.  Need to put on my thinking cap a bit earlier in the day!  I wonder if he starts in CF tonite?  That would be interesting.

I sure hope so. I want him out there for the short time he is going to be up.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - May 18th, 2018 at 7:17am
Print Post  
notes34 wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 7:04am:
Possum wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 5:44am:

I sure hope so. I want him out there for the short time he is going to be up.

They generally prefer to put a guy right in the lineup when he's called up. Especially if he's been hot in AAA. It keeps a rookie from sitting around in the dugout for days getting nervous about his debut. So I expect Meadows to be in the lineup tonight. Besides, Rodriguez has played a lot recently and Hurdle loves to rest players.

IP Logged

ScottinMass

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2018 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Should be a lot of shuffling this weekend:

Marte to DL, Meadows Up on Friday
Kingham up on Saturday, Moroff (?) down
Jay Hay activated Sunday, Kingham (?) down
Next week Musgrove activated, Osuna (?) or Frazier (?) down

IP Logged

mouse
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2018 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Does anyone think Kuhl's performance last night puts him on shakier ground with Kingham, etc. all but ready?

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2018 at 9:00am
Print Post  
ScottinMass wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 7:36am:
Should be a lot of shuffling this weekend:

Marte to DL, Meadows Up on Friday
Kingham up on Saturday, Moroff (?) down
Jay Hay activated Sunday, Kingham (?) down
Next week Musgrove activated, Osuna (?) or Frazier (?) down

I don't think Frazier would be sent down. Possibly Osuna.

I don't like keeping 13 pitchers with just a 4 man bench. Right now the BP has Brault (L) and Glasnow (R) long, Vazquez, Feliz, Santana, Rodriguez and Crick for the 6th inning on. And then there's Kontos: ineffective as a setup man. not a long reliever, and not needed for any of the roles currently filled by Vazquez, Feliz, Santana, Rodriguez and Crick. Keeping him in the BP where there's neither a role nor a need for him takes away a bench player. I suspect he will shortly be moved and the 5 man bench will be preserved after Musgrove returns.    

IP Logged

dmetz
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #12 - May 18th, 2018 at 9:18am
Print Post  
I think Moroff should go down.  the playing time is too sparse, and what time he is being given, his K rate and walk rates are terrible in both directions.   

Oh well.  maybe next time.  maybe never

IP Logged

MaineBucs

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #13 - May 18th, 2018 at 10:44am
Print Post  
I concur with Bobster.  I think Kontos soon draws the short straw.   Gotta believe some team would offer a bone for him.  There's a lot of worse relievers than Kontos out there, he has some track record of past success, and he is relatively cheap.   Either they find a short-term injury for Kontos to allow the reactivation of Kingham, or they move Kontos

Although I really like Moroff, his strike zone judgement appears to be suffering from a lack of playing time (hopefully that is all that it is).  Moroff is the obvious candidate to get sent down when J-Hay is ready to come back. 

Not sure what to do when Musgrove is available if Kingham's next start goes well.  Everyone in the pen other than Kontos is performing acceptably, but some of them do have remaining options   If Kingham is hit hard in his next start it is a much easier decision; option Kingham when Musgrove is ready.   

All-in-all, very nice problems to have.   

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #14 - May 18th, 2018 at 10:50am
Print Post  
If Meadows hits his first home run during this stay with the Bucs it will be at Cincinnati next week at that short right field.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint