Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Gameday 5/15 (Read 1590 times)
Orlando Merced
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: Gameday 5/15
Reply #15 - May 16th, 2018 at 8:45am
Print Post  
IABucFan wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 11:12pm:
SCBucco wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 10:46pm:
The starting pitching and bullpen have been interesting.  Despite this, a league high seven shutouts.  Bullpen looks pretty good now, absent Kontos.  Starting pitching ... we shall see.  Just when you think they are due to collapse, you get a strong outing.  Don't kid yourself though, Chicago isn't good.  I will take the win.  Rodriguez, the guy on the mound, was a hell of a find.

R-Rod is making Vazquez expendable. Wouldn’t shock me to see him moved in the off-season. He could nab quite a haul in a trade. Rodriguez has been unbelievable.

That's a bit of a stretch there. If Bell and Polanco were to completely flame out this year, then yes, I would look to move Vazquez for a strong hitting prospect to be a lineup fixture.

IP Logged

SammyKhalifa
Global Moderator

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #16 - May 16th, 2018 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Orlando Merced wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 8:45am:
The starting pitching and bullpen have been interesting.  Despite this, a league high seven shutouts.  Bullpen looks pretty good now, absent Kontos.  Starting pitching ... we shall see.  Just when you think they are due to collapse, you get a strong outing.  Don't kid yourself though, Chicago isn't good.  I will take the win.  Rodriguez, the guy on the mound, was a hell of a find.

R-Rod is making Vazquez expendable. Wouldn’t shock me to see him moved in the off-season. He could nab quite a haul in a trade. Rodriguez has been unbelievable.

That's a bit of a stretch there. If Bell and Polanco were to completely flame out this year, then yes, I would look to move Vazquez for a strong hitting prospect to be a lineup fixture.

Even if not so.  If there's an opportunity to trade a solid reliever for a solid every day starter I think I'd do it every time. 

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #17 - May 16th, 2018 at 9:59am
Print Post  

I hope R-Rod does pitch well enough to make Vazquez expendable.  That doesn't mean I would deal him.  R-Rod has only pitched 15 innings for Bucs so it is a little early to count on him.

Who knows, maybe R-Rod, Vazquez, Crick and Feliz can be the new nasty boys.

IP Logged

SCBucco
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #18 - May 16th, 2018 at 10:10am
Print Post  

I wouldn't go that far.  Still very small sample size.  He has been promising though. RRod needs to keep this up for more than 15.1 innings before I'm calling him as the next guy.  I think within two years, Vazquez will be gone - traded for prospects.  It's just the way this place works.

IP Logged

SammyKhalifa
Global Moderator

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #19 - May 16th, 2018 at 10:16am
Print Post  
SCBucco wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 10:10am:

I wouldn't go that far.  Still very small sample size.  He has been promising though. RRod needs to keep this up for more than 15.1 innings before I'm calling him as the next guy.  I think within two years, Vazquez will be gone - traded for prospects.  It's just the way this place works. 

to be fair it's not exactly like we have any reason to ding the organization's constant turning over of closers

IP Logged

Orlando Merced
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #20 - May 16th, 2018 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Outside of Watson, I bet you can make a case that NH is the best GM at both acquiring dominant relievers, and maximizing value when trading reliever. He turned Burnett into Hanrahan, to then Melancon, to then Vazquez.

Watson at one time or another would have netted a big return, but he was also providing value to a contending team in those years.

IP Logged

Dogknot3
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #21 - May 16th, 2018 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Rodriguez has been very good.  He had 25 strike outs and 0 Walks (two were intentional) entering this game.

IP Logged

MaineBucs

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #22 - May 16th, 2018 at 10:22am
Print Post  
I agree with EC Bucs.

1)  If the Bucs somehow manage to remain in contention one of the key reasons likely will be because the back end of their bullpen is performing well.   Vasquez performs as a closer, Rodriguez and Feliz pitch well, and Crick and Santana provide critical support in the 6th and 7th.  Thus, no reason to move any of these folks because of salary concerns this year or the next.

2)  But, if the Bucs fall out of contention, and the team has developed one or more good options for the latter innings among Feliz, Crick, Santana, Rodriguez, Glasnow (?), Kuhl (?) and others, by all means, consider dealing one of the above and potentially even Vasquez if the return is real talent.

3)  About three weeks ago I suggested that the Bucs go for Iglesias to try and form a nasty one - two punch at the end of the game if the team remained in contention.   My goal was a shut-down pen.  That said, there are some early positive signs that the likes of Feliz, Rodriguez and/or Santana may make a move for the likes of Iglesias unnecessary.      

Nice win last night.  A lot of runs because of the number of extra base hits.  Like others, hoping that the injuries to Marte and Cervelli are little more than in-game bruises than something which hurts their performance.

IP Logged

Dogknot3
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #23 - May 16th, 2018 at 10:37am
Print Post  
I feel the Pirates over paid for Vazquez because they plan on keeping him.  Have they ever paid a reliever $10 million?  Vazquez was paid for this window before the team option.

I would love Iglesias.  He is due to make $11.4 million in the next two years ($5.7 in '19, $5.7 in '20).  He is someone to watch come deadline time.

IP Logged

dmetz
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #24 - May 16th, 2018 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
This offense is really kicking it into gear now against the scrub teams.   This pretty much isn't supposed to be happening.  they're doubling down on the run production

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint