Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 5/13 Mother’s Day Game Thread Giants@Pirates (Read 1050 times)
Steady Freddy
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

5/13 Mother’s Day Game Thread Giants@Pirates
May 13th, 2018 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Cervelli C
Osuna RF
Marte CF
Bell 1st
Dickerson LF
Freeze 3rd
Rodriguez 2nd
Mercer SS
Nova P

Interesting seeing Cervelli in the leadoff spot. Good day I guess to give Polanco a rest against a lefty and with a day off tomorrow before the short two game series with the Sox. Boy a win today would be sweet with teams like the White Sox and Padres on the schedule at home this week. A win today and a 4-2 week this week would put the Pirates at 10 games over .500 a week from today. Let’s continue to take advantage of this very winnable upcoming schedule.

IP Logged

Dogknot3
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: 5/13 Mother’s Day Game Thread Giants@Pirates
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2018 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Hurdle being creative. Mercer is hitting lately, he would have been my choice to lead off. Rodriguez is in the line up too. Interesting.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2018 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Joe Block, please shut up.

IP Logged

Dogknot3
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2018 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't pull Nova.

IP Logged

Dogknot3
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2018 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Ahh...what do I know??

It's so bad that when Starters get in trouble in the sixth inning they get pulled.

IP Logged

skinnyhorse

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2018 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
What to do with Nova, he needs another pitch just can't get by with what he's got now.  He's a frustrating pitcher, seems we have many better options in the minors in the long run.  Not sure why he hasn't come up with more pitches by this time in his career.

IP Logged

Steady Freddy
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2018 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Overall a pretty solid weekend and overall week for the Pirates going 4-1. They are currently 6 games over .500 and just a 1/2 game out of 1st place at the 40 game mark. They got their next 9 games against the White Sox, Padres and Reds. Hopefully things continue to go well for the Pirates moving forward.

IP Logged

SCBucco
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #7 - May 14th, 2018 at 12:11am
Print Post  
skinnyhorse wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 3:30pm:
What to do with Nova, he needs another pitch just can't get by with what he's got now.  He's a frustrating pitcher, seems we have many better options in the minors in the long run.  Not sure why he hasn't come up with more pitches by this time in his career. 

He is the quintessential example of an enigma.  Remember when he came over in that deal from the Yanks, he closed out the season like a Cy Young candidate.  He started last year the same way and then saw that fall big time.  He simply isn't consistent.

IP Logged

Steady Freddy
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #8 - May 14th, 2018 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Yea Nova’s last 3 starts have not been very good at all. Way too many hard outs and giving up way too many hits and home runs. If the Pirates are gonna contend and stay in this race and be well over .500 Nova has to be better moving forward here.

IP Logged

Dogknot3
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #9 - May 14th, 2018 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Nova didn't pitch bad.  Five shut out innings then a little trouble in the sixth.  If he was recorded with the error as the ball tipped off his glove, only two of those runs would have been earned.  Mercer was standing right there to make the easy play too.

I wouldn't have pulled him.  I don't know why managers automatically pull their starters in the sixth inning with any sign of trouble. 

Good overall weekend.  They won the series, they were in first place for a day, and people got to see McCutchen.

IP Logged

Orlando Merced
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #10 - May 14th, 2018 at 9:21am
Print Post  
There were a ton of loud outs yesterday. Nova didn't have it, I'm not sure he's going to be in the rotation all year, I don't think he's very good.

IP Logged

MaineBucs

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #11 - May 14th, 2018 at 11:01am
Print Post  
About the only purported value that Nova has now is 'veteranoisity'.   

At the beginning of last year he was going deep into games and pitching well.  Things went well down hill after mid-June and this year, if he's pitching well, he can make it through the line-up twice, but by the third time through the line-up he is a candidate for getting 'lit-up'.

The Bucs have a whole bevy of average starters.  At this point, no one stands out, but, the team has another average starter available to replace anyone who falters too badly.

I know that many believe that Kuhl should be on the bubble.   I believe that Nova is the starter who most likely should be replaced when Musgrove and Kingham return.  I know you can never have enough starting pitching, but I believe the Bucs should be trying to move Nova and to do it soon before the weather heats up even further and more of the hard hit fly balls off of him carry over the wall.

IP Logged

SammyKhalifa
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2018 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Did anyone hear the Neal Huntington show, specifically when he went down on the person (don't know who it was) who first leaked the McCutchen trade?  He called whoever it was an "idiot" because Cutch deserved to be told in a different way and he didn't have a chance before the story got out.  I know there are a lot of different opinions on NH but he sounded genuinely pissed. 

Tried to find a transcript online or something but haven't come up with anything.

IP Logged

Dogknot3
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #13 - May 14th, 2018 at 11:25am
Print Post  
MaineBucs wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 11:01am:

At the beginning of last year he was going deep into games and pitching well.  Things went well down hill after mid-June and this year, if he's pitching well, he can make it through the line-up twice, but by the third time through the line-up he is a candidate for getting 'lit-up'.

The Bucs have a whole bevy of average starters.  At this point, no one stands out, but, the team has another average starter available to replace anyone who falters too badly.

I know that many believe that Kuhl should be on the bubble.   I believe that Nova is the starter who most likely should be replaced when Musgrove and Kingham return.  I know you can never have enough starting pitching, but I believe the Bucs should be trying to move Nova and to do it soon before the weather heats up even further and more of the hard hit fly balls off of him carry over the wall.         

I think people say Kuhl because he can be a bullpen arm.  Kuhl can come in and throw heat for an inning.  I am not sure Nova would be a good bullpen arm. 

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #14 - May 15th, 2018 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Dogknot3 wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 11:25am:
MaineBucs wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 11:01am:

I think people say Kuhl because he can be a bullpen arm.  Kuhl can come in and throw heat for an inning.  I am not sure Nova would be a good bullpen arm. 

If Nova is not a good bullpen arm then what do you do with him.  Like Mainer says, get rid of him for his veteranocity.  Oh, wait, if they do that they will have to eat some salary, and TBMTIBB doesn't do that!  So we are stuck with Nova in the rotation.   Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

It's A Great Day for Bucco Baseball

Possum

-------------

Summing up the Pirates chances of being competitive in 2018:  "It's like a horse race with Mr. Ed going against Secretariat"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint