Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) attendance (Read 4414 times)
BenM

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: attendance
Reply #15 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
They can't even sell out fireworks nights.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #16 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
I suspect Nutting is a shrewd enough businessman that he had his bean counters factor in estimates of low attendance, the low payroll and the $50 million Disney bonus and concluded he would make a profit even with poor attendance. The lies about contending rather than rebuilding were said prior to the season when season ticket sales were the goal. Just another marketing ploy. So now NH has to lie about adding players rather then selling in order to be consistent with the pre-season lies. But I doubt the low attendance has been any surprise to TBMTIB. In all probability it was factored in and determined to be more profitable than spending enough for a competitive team with good attendance.

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #17 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Bobster wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 2:53pm:
I suspect Nutting is a shrewd enough businessman that he had his bean counters factor in estimates of low attendance, the low payroll and the $50 million Disney bonus and concluded he would make a profit even with poor attendance. The lies about contending rather than rebuilding were said prior to the season when season ticket sales were the goal. Just another marketing ploy. So now NH has to lie about adding players rather then selling in order to be consistent with the pre-season lies. But I doubt the low attendance has been any surprise to TBMTIB. In all probability it was factored in and determined to be more profitable than spending enough for a competitive team with good attendance. 

who knows they may pay more for the bean counters than for analytics. I would guess that attendance isn't much of a surprise either as they can tell pretty closely from season tickets and advanced sales.

IP Logged

BenM

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #18 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 6:09pm
Print Post  

Is he really shrewd or just cheap? He's headed into a negotiation for a new TV contract next year with ATT. There are reports that the Pirates have one of the lowest paying contracts and three years of declining TV/attendance numbers is not a strong hand to play for a contract that will run for more than a decade.

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #19 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
BenM wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 6:09pm:

Is he really shrewd or just cheap? He's headed into a negotiation for a new TV contract next year with ATT. There are reports that the Pirates have one of the lowest paying contracts and three years of declining TV/attendance numbers is not a strong hand to play for a contract that will run for more than a decade.

Something Possum said recently made me realize something: nutting is basically a trust fund baby with his family money coming from the newspaper business. I can’t think of a more conservative “investment/business”, nor one more opposite MLB, than Running a newspaper. 

I think the newspaper mentality has completely consumed Nutting.  No one can run a baseball team without spending A LOT of money.  I imagine the first rule for owning a paper is to squeeze every single penny.  He’s going to kill the organization because he’s counting every penny. 

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #20 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
After the last homestand, average attendance is now 17,555 (719,779).  Summer attendance should go up some but I don't think it will go up enough to meet the 2010 attendance figures.

average last year was 23,696

average in 2016 was 28,112

average in 2015 was 30,846

average in 2011 was 24,225

average in 2010 was  19,918

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #21 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Ecbucs wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 3:51pm:
After the last homestand, average attendance is now 17,555 (719,779).  Summer attendance should go up some but I don't think it will go up enough to meet the 2010 attendance figures.

average last year was 23,696

average in 2016 was 28,112

average in 2015 was 30,846

average in 2011 was 24,225

average in 2010 was  19,918

average attendance has gone up since July 4.

after 45 games it is now 17,919

IP Logged

BenM

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #22 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 10:32am
Print Post  
That would be the lowest number in over two decades. (1996, 16,652)

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #23 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 11:05am
Print Post  
last nights attendance of 17,103 dropped average attendance to
17,902 after 46 games.

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #24 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
nice win and good attendance for a Wednesday afternoon:

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #25 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Friday night, good weather, attendance of

A couple years ago there would have 30,000 plus most Friday nights.

Maybe everybody has tickets for the double header.

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #26 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 7:39am
Print Post  
My guess is they won’t have many 30,000 plus crowds this season. Many fans are staying away, I am thinking they have lost many of their season ticket holders. They are on a nice little run now, but I am guessing they get about 25,000 for doubleheader today.

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #27 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 9:09am
Print Post  
In my older years I have been going to about 5-6 games a year.  I have been to two this season and that is it for me.  Only went to one game to continue my attendance streak and then on Thursday to be with my daughter and family for a game.  They made 3 games while visiting from Seattle this week.  My daughter is a full blooded Pirates fan just like me.

It's A Great Day for Bucco Baseball

Possum

---------------

Believe it or Not!  In 1959 the Pirates almost traded Dick Groat for Roger Maris.

IP Logged

mouse
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #28 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 9:17am
Print Post  
I took your (Possum's) advice last night and went to a short season A team game. A good time with great seats. Unfortunately, it was a Cardinals affiliate but even that had it's good points - when the first baseman dropped the throw where the runner was picked from first, I was able to smile. And later, when the second baseman dropped the ball on the first part of what might have been a double play, I was able to smile again. My wife also got to smile when I told her that would never happen with the Pirates affiliate.

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #29 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
mouse wrote on Jul 14th, 2018 at 9:17am:
I took your (Possum's) advice last night and went to a short season A team game. A good time with great seats. Unfortunately, it was a Cardinals affiliate but even that had it's good points - when the first baseman dropped the throw where the runner was picked from first, I was able to smile. And later, when the second baseman dropped the ball on the first part of what might have been a double play, I was able to smile again. My wife also got to smile when I told her that would never happen with the Pirates affiliate.

If you saw the Cards SS A- team that would be State College.  So I assume you live near there and can take in other teams from the NYPenn league Pinckney Division in which the Bucs Morgantown (aka WV) Black Bears are aligned.  The Spikes as the State College team is known and were also know when they were the Bucs affiliate in the league are not having a particularly good season. 

As you say it was a fun and cheap night of enjoying the sport of baseball.  But don't for one minute think that mistakes like you saw will not or do not happen for the Black Bears.  Sometimes I have to laugh at the comedy of errors that I see but I also understand that some of these kids are later round picks and are giving it their best shot without a lot of "hot dogging" and moaning and groaning.  When they do make an error or mistake they seem to learn a bit from it. 

It's A Great Day for Bucco Baseball

Possum

---------------

Believe it or Not!  In 1959 the Pirates almost traded Dick Groat for Roger Maris.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint