Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Should We Really Count on Austin Meadows (Read 607 times)
fjk090852-7

OnlyBucs.net Member

Should We Really Count on Austin Meadows
Jun 18th, 2017 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Through 61 games at AAA Meadows is hitting .245. I know he is one of the younger players in that league, but so far he has not hitting the cover off the ball. When you look back on players like Cutch, Polanco and Bell they all had very good years at AAA before their recall to Pittsburgh. At this point in the season I am not sure if Meadows should even be a September call up. Success at AAA does not  always translate that the player will succeed in the Majors, but I think there should be some concerns that a player who is supposedly going to be an everyday player in the future has had some difficulty with AAA pitching.

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: Should We Really Count on Austin Meadows
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
certainly can't expect him to contribute this year.

On the other hand he has less than 400 at bats in AAA and only had less than 200 in AA.

He still is pretty inexperienced in upper minors.

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Not only count on Meadows, but count on him to be a total stud.  He and Bell are the future and if Meadows does not develop into "a face of the franchise" type player then the Pirates have a "middlin" future before them, at best. 

I've shared this on here before: I do not claim to have any eye for prospects, but watching Meadows this spring, he stood out as a big cut above anyone else, even on the major league team.  I would go so far as to say "can't miss". 

Maybe not this year.  Maybe he's being pushed through the system a bit too fast (like Pedro?).  But by this time next year I'll be surprised if he's not demonstrating this in Pittsburgh.

If he does not develop, I don't want to think about the impact.

IP Logged

Dogknot3
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Count on him this year?  I never did. 

Count on him in the future?  Yes, he has all the tools to be a MLB All Star.

He is 22 years old and didn't play College ball.  He is still very young.  No worries here.

IP Logged

mouse

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 9:43am
Print Post  
And has only limited time at AA and AAA. He really needs this year to develop. Not doing really well is a help - it'll keep him focused on getting better rather than wondering how soon the call will come.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 10:22am
Print Post  
He got off to a bad start this season. Then hit .300 for May and is struggling again in June although he has had a pair of 3-hit games this month. It could just be a learning process of adjusting to pitchers who are adjusting to him.

IP Logged

wvbucco
Forum Administrator

Dat's the old pepper,
boy!

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 11:02am
Print Post  
It's a good reason not to get in a hurry with him.  Let him have his full season in AAA.

IP Logged

Dogknot3
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 11:18am
Print Post  
I think people expect too much from rookies or younger players.  People are down on Glasnow and thought he would be a top of the rotation starter. 

Teams either build with these young guys or ease them in since there is a good team around them already.  The problem is I have no idea where the Pirates are right now. 

I didn't expect much from Glasnow or Meadows this year.  If McCutchen is traded, I can see Meadows up.  But I wouldn't expect him to replace McCutchen's production right away.  Bell is another one.  I expected his average to be higher with his power.  His power is there, his glove has been a good surprise, but I expected at least .260 batting average.

These three can be the new core going forward.  I just wouldn't expect it right away.  This also why people (me) are down on Polanco.  He should be having his break out year this year and it doesn't look like it is going to happen.  I hope it is due to injuries and not talent.

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Dogknot3 wrote on Jun 19th, 2017 at 11:18am:
......This also why people (me) are down on Polanco.  He should be having his break out year this year and it doesn't look like it is going to happen.  I hope it is due to injuries and not talent.

Or attitude. 

I remember a young rookie in awe of playing RF because of Roberto.  Somewhere along the line I saw a young player more influenced by Marte....

IP Logged

Dogknot3
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Marte isn't around.  I don't think Marte is an attitude problem.  I also don't think this team has any attitude problems.  That is one great thing about Hurdle.  The team could need a new leader (Burnett, Martin) on the player side of things. 

I just don't think Marte and Polanco are smart ball players.  I at least hope that is the main issue.  Talent got them this far, but everyone is talented at this level. 

Polanco kind of matched McCutchen's seasons up to this point.  This was the year McCutchen broke out (age 25).  McCutchen was more polished but the age 24 stats are very similar.  Maybe Polanco is a year behind?

We need Polanco to be great when Meadows comes up.  That will ease the transition.

IP Logged

Aaron

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Dogknot3 wrote on Jun 19th, 2017 at 12:13pm:

Polanco kind of matched McCutchen's seasons up to this point.  This was the year McCutchen broke out (age 25).  McCutchen was more polished but the age 24 stats are very similar.  Maybe Polanco is a year behind?

Polanco's first number of seasons have not even come close to matching McCutchen's. Not on any level in any stratosphere.

Thus far Polanco's career has stunk. He's a below average hitter, an absolutely horrible OFer and his baseball fundamentals are worse than most little leaguers.

To even break it down any further is a colossal waste of time.

IP Logged

Dogknot3
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
24 year old Polanco: 22 HR, 86 RBI, .258 ave, .323 obp, .463 slg, .786 ops

24 year old McCutchen: 23 HR, 89 RBI, .259 ave, .364 obp, .456 slg, .820 ops

Here is a breakdown:  1 less HR, 3 less RBI, .001 difference in average, .041 difference in OBP, .007 difference in SLG, and .034 difference in OPS.

IP Logged

wvbucco
Forum Administrator

Dat's the old pepper,
boy!

Reply #12 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Interesting to know how close they have been.  How many plate appearances for each?

IP Logged

Dogknot3
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #13 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
wvbucco wrote on Jun 19th, 2017 at 1:32pm:
Interesting to know how close they have been.  How many plate appearances for each?

587 PA with 527 AB for Polanco.
678 PA with 572 AB for McCutchen.

McCutchen was also an All Star in 2011.

IP Logged

dmetz

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #14 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Cutch had 400+ab as a 22 year old, a full season as a 23 year old and a full season as a 24 year old.

He was never below an .814 OPS.

Polanco had very similar playing time as a 22, 23, and 24 year old.   

While the 24 year old season was  in the ballpark of  each other their overall tregectories aren't even close.    With continued improvement at the same rate, Polanco should be coming in around .800-.820 ops in his 25 year old season.  He's back to .700ish.

Cutch was an MVP contender as a 25 year old with a .900+ops.

One year out of four Polanco was in Cutchs ballpark.   Bad comparison

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint