Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Music Thread (Read 11946 times)
wvbucco
Forum Administrator

Dat's the old pepper!

The Music Thread
Jul 18th, 2016 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
I listen to music at work a good bit, and my tastes vary widely.  Today I am in a bit of a harder mood.  I listed to "Past, Present & Future" by Rob Zombie / While Zombie and The Best of Nightwish.  I like the music/sound/style of Zombie but mostly tune out the lyrics, which can be vulgar and just weird.  Nighwish is opera + heavy metal.  I own 100s of greatest hits style albums and a few artists I own all of their music (Tom Petty being one).

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: The Music Thread
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
wvbucco wrote on Jul 18th, 2016 at 12:38pm:
I listen to music at work a good bit, and my tastes vary widely.  Today I am in a bit of a harder mood.  I listed to "Past, Present & Future" by Rob Zombie / While Zombie and The Best of Nightwish.  I like the music/sound/style of Zombie but mostly tune out the lyrics, which can be vulgar and just weird.  Nighwish is opera + heavy metal.  I own 100s of greatest hits style albums and a few artists I own all of their music (Tom Petty being one).

Music is so fragmented now that I'm lost when it comes to new stuff.  Totally lost. 

I listen mostly to contemporary Christian music of which there is some surprisingly good stuff covering basically every  genre (CCM is its own genre but it covers the full spectrum of styles, from rap/hip hop to hard rock and everything in between) but also a lot of junk. 

Otherwise I've started going back in time: traffic, King Crimson, Chris Isaac all lately.  One album I've rediscover and listened to probably a dozen times over the past two weeks is Seventh Sojourn by the Moody Blues.  I've come to think of it as one of the great albums ever.

IP Logged

Quail
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I've been playing music professionally and songwriting for more more than 45 years. As a listener my tastes are very eclectic. Tom Petty and The Moody Blues are two of my many favorites.

I hesitate to recommend music anymore to anyone because most folks are narrowly focused on a few genres and don't care to listen to anything else or anything new/different.

Some of my musical friends also do some of my favorite music; they include Chris Smither. Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen, Verlon Thompson and Eric Taylor.

"In baseball, you don't know nothing."-  Yogi Berra

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
I am still a fan of ELO, Byrds, America.

Like Moody Blues too although I've never been a singer in a Rock n Roll band.

I listened to a clip from Rainbow reunion concert recently and thought they did a good job.

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 4:26am
Print Post  
Too old for the current top 40 type rock and roll performers.  My tastes go back to the Doo Wop days and forward to the end of the disco stage. 

Even had a country western stage after the disco stuff.  Still love to listen to some tracks from those days particularly by the outlaws like Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and so forth.

But really my preferred and most listened to music these days comes from a recommendation by a college classmate who loved jazz.  I got into the late Wes Montgomery on guitar and even the late jazz organist Jimmy Smith.  Have gravitated now to mostly smooth or contemporary jazz with a few favorites.

'Bout the only thing that I do not like now adays is the "new" country stuff that sounds more like rock and roll to me. 

It's A Great Day for Bucco Baseball

Possum

---------------

Nutting Ventured, Nutting Gained - Gene Collier in the PG on 9/13/2020

IP Logged

wvbucco
Forum Administrator

Dat's the old pepper!

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 11:32am
Print Post  
I listen to a lot of Christian music too.  There isn't a song by Casting Crowns that I dislike and the same goes for Chris Tomlin. I have the Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed" but that's really the only music by them that I am familiar with.  My knowledge of Jazz is limited, though I like it.  I have several albums by Jazz pianist Keiko Matsui.  Have you heard of her?

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
wvbucco wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 11:32am:
I listen to a lot of Christian music too.  There isn't a song by Casting Crowns that I dislike and the same goes for Chris Tomlin. I have the Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed" but that's really the only music by them that I am familiar with.  My knowledge of Jazz is limited, though I like it.  I have several albums by Jazz pianist Keiko Matsui.  Have you heard of her?

Casting crowns is really good.  Here's a new band that I've just become familiar with that you may connect with: The City Harmonic.  Check out this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho4IA1-ao-w ;  (should be a youtube of "oh what love").

IP Logged

Quail
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 9:41am
Print Post  
My wife and I attended a house concert last night featuring Tommy Womack. He's a terrific songwriter with a great self-deprecating sense of humor. If you enjoy a little fun and honesty in your music he's worth checking out. He's won several songwriting awards and has had his songs covered by a number of well-known artists (Jimmy Buffet most recently).

Here's one of my favorites of his that he performed last night:

"Nice Day"

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2016 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Quail wrote on Jul 21st, 2016 at 9:41am:
My wife and I attended a house concert last night featuring Tommy Womack. He's a terrific songwriter with a great self-deprecating sense of humor. If you enjoy a little fun and honesty in your music he's worth checking out. He's won several songwriting awards and has had his songs covered by a number of well-known artists (Jimmy Buffet most recently).

Here's one of my favorites of his that he performed last night:

"Nice Day"

That's great video!  And song. 

Gotta love it when somebody from the audience climbs in and shares the mic!

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2016 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Quail wrote on Jul 18th, 2016 at 7:50pm:
I've been playing music professionally and songwriting for more more than 45 years. As a listener my tastes are very eclectic. Tom Petty and The Moody Blues are two of my many favorites.

I hesitate to recommend music anymore to anyone because most folks are narrowly focused on a few genres and don't care to listen to anything else or anything new/different.

Some of my musical friends also do some of my favorite music; they include Chris Smither. Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen, Verlon Thompson and Eric Taylor.

Quail - got any video online?  Love to check in. 

If I had just one thing I'd like to do over - I'd play guitar and piano.

IP Logged

Quail
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2016 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
VaPirate wrote on Jul 23rd, 2016 at 11:52am:
Quail wrote on Jul 18th, 2016 at 7:50pm:

Quail - got any video online?  Love to check in. 

If I had just one thing I'd like to do over - I'd play guitar and piano. 

Thanks for asking Va!

If you want to listen to some of my recordings (without video)
this is my artist homepage: https://waltleuzinger.bandcamp.com/ ;  For more rock stuff I suggest the 'Rock n Roll Reliquary' album, if you prefer more folk/bluegrass then the 'Dixie Moon' album is the one.

I don't have a lot of video out there but here's one that I did recently. I suppose the shirt I wore when filming it makes it especially relevant to this forum. Wink
It's called 'Einstein's Hair': 

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2016 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
That was soooooooooooooooooo much fun watching.  I will be late turning on the game cause I want to listen again.  How great it would be if you could PM the lyrics so I could follow along as I listen to it again.

Next thing you know I may get a movement started to have Quail name as the Official OBN Balladeer!  How do you like that.

A final thought, the song brought back memories of Peter, Paul, and Mary and in particular "Puff the Magic Dragon".  You sure do have a way of bringing back some old memories for me.

Thank you very, very, much for sharing it with us.

It's A Great Day for Bucco Baseball

Possum

---------------

Nutting Ventured, Nutting Gained - Gene Collier in the PG on 9/13/2020

IP Logged

Quail
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2016 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Possum- Thanks so much for the enthusiastic kind words! There's really nothing more gratifying for a songwriter/musician than to have connected positively with a listener. I've sent the lyric to you in a PM. Hope you enjoy!

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2016 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Quail - I gotta agree with Possum - that is really good!  Nice guitar and tune, great voice (you need to be in the broadcast booth!)

I'll check out your web links in a couple days.  Then I gotta figure a way to monetize (as they say) you!

IP Logged

RichD

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #14 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
I stopped paying much attention to new music about 15 years ago. Not sure why? But my dusty cd case is filled with Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath ,Ozzy , ACDC ,Alice in Chains ,etc.
The radio in my truck died about 3 years ago and i haven`t fixed it. LOL Sad At home i listen to talk sports radio but lately getting tired of it . In fact im tired of listening to people talking ,period. Everyone has too much to say. Roll Eyes
I guess i need to transfer my CD`S to an ipod but i dont know how to do that stuff and i sure as heck not going to re-buy all those albums. When i was a kid my uncle gave me a few albums and turned me on to some good music.Maybe i should just give my collection to my 12 yo nephew in hope that he finds something he likes Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint